Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 04:27:07 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Moving chapters around in the Handbook

I don't really think that FreeBSD should limit itself to considering
itself to be a 'Server OS', or why would we bother with any X, sound,
etc. support at all!

I guess it's hard to know if the majority of new FreeBSD installations
are server or desktop based, but I'd think that it's probably desktops
in which case they probably want a nice cute GUI as quick as possible!

I think it should be early in the handbook, but possibly not the actual
installation chapter, as I think that it's better to have a system up
and running with all devices detected and sorted before trying to sort
X. Otherwise, users may think that their installation is broken just
because X won't start. And they don't realise that getting X working is
the one of the last steps, not one of the first!

Just my thoughts.

Andrew.