Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2006 03:28:03 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <amistry@am-productions.biz>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Media software ala DLink DSM520 ... but for FreeBSD ... ?

--nextPart1785387.xdKazBVBGc

On Friday 20 October 2006 21:36, you wrote:
> --On Friday, October 20, 2006 16:12:01 -0400 Anish Mistry
>
> <amistry@am-productions.biz> wrote:
> > On Friday 20 October 2006 12:44, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> I tried the DSM320, wasn't satisfied with it, since a bunch of
> >> my videos didn't work, and I really hated the interface (would
> >> like to be able to delete after watching) ... so I returned it.
> >>
> >> Is there anything I can do with a plain FreeBSD box to
> >> accomplish *at least* what the DLink provided?
> >>
> >> I have a box now that I can plug into my TV (S-Video with Sound
> >> Jacks), which is what I was using before ... but, the X display
> >> on the TV is terrible, and the interface leaves alot to be
> >> desired for my wife, so *she* won't use it ...
> >>
> >> So ... is there any 'media software' that I can run on FreeBSD
> >> that would give her a nice interface to work with (web based,
> >> maybe, with her using her laptop for controls from the couch?)
> >>
> >> Basically, I can't be the first one trying to do this ... anyone
> >> have any good recommendations to make it as 'user friendly for
> >> non-unix users' as possible?
> >
> > multimedia/freevo?
>
> Sweet, am working on installing it as I type this ... will this
> also handle the 'bad screen / graininess' that I find running X on
> a TV?  Or is there a recommendation for a better video card that I
> shoudl be using for this?  ie. something with TV-Out maybe?  I'm
> using S-Video right now ...
If your TV supports VGA or DVI the picture will be much better.  I=20
think some of the newer Geforce cards have component output so that=20
would be better too.  You could probably tweak some of your X=20
settings to get the picture a little better.

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry
amistry@am-productions.biz
AM Productions http://am-productions.biz/