Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 16:44:24 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Doug Poland <dpoland@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp, domains, and routing - Uncle :-(

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Doug Poland wrote:

> Well, I give up.  I'm trying to configure a 3.1-RELEASE machine to
> work on my corporate intranet and dial out to my ISP (dynamic IPs).
> User ppp dials and connects but it appears that my box is trying
> to route everything through my intranet gateway, not ppp (tun0?).

[...]
> MyBSD# cat /etc/rc.conf
> network_interfaces "ppp0 ed0 lo0"
> ifconfig_edo="inet 10.20.30.111 netmask 255.255.255.0"
             ^
Typo?

> defaultrouter="10.20.30.40"
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the reason why everything's not working on your machine.
Remove this line.
Remove the ppp0 network interface.
Add:
	gateway_enable="YES"

I'm assuming your /etc/ppp.conf is set up correctly; for dynamic IP,
and you're invoking it as:

	ppp -auto -alias your_isp_entry

When ppp connects, it should then add an entry to your routing tables
so that the default route is on the other end of your ppp connection.