Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:43:44 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 10.3 -> 11

--8QMV8td4dDFRWivLq3X929sT86pvp0qM3
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--qv7CKLbQR6tlLS1LhIM8q090MOw4bk7th

On 07/22/16 10:10, krad wrote:
> Hi, as 11 is getting closeish to release is there anything special we n=
eed
> to do in order to upgrade from 10 -> 11. I usually use the makeworld
> method, but I heard that in 11 the base os would be packaged in a diffe=
rent
> way using pkgng. I cant find any hard  information on this though, so
> currently is just looks like a normal makeworld type upgrade will work =
with
> all the normal caveats. Am I correct in my thinking?

Assuming you're talking about running 11-STABLE, then yes, a normal
makeworld cycle will get you upgraded to 11.0 -- plus all the extra bits
needed for a major version upgrade, like reinstalling all your ports so
they link against the new shlibs in the updated system.

If you want to run 11.0-RELEASE, once it comes out, you can use
freebsd-update(8) to upgrade to it.

Packaged base is coming, but it's not going to be in place for
11.0-RELEASE.  Current plans are it will go live with 11.1-RELEASE, and
there will be detailed instructions on how to manage the 11.0-RELEASE
(freebsd-update) to 11.1-RELEASE (PkgBase) transition at that time.

If you'ld like to help testing and developing base packages, subscribe
to the freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org mailing list and start by following
the instructions at https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgBase

At the moment though, all the PkgBase stuff is entirely voluntary -- you
can choose to opt in if you want.  There's no expectation that 11.0
systems will have base system packages registered, and you can manage an
11.0 system exactly as you have previously been managing earlier system
versions.

	Cheers,

	Matthew