Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:10:33 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Monah Baki <mbaki@whywire.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mplayer one last time :(

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

> I got it running in Linux all I need to is to compile the following:
>=20
> openquicktime-1.0-src.tar
> win32codecs.tar
> MPlayer-0.91.tar.bz2=20
> mplayerplug-in-0.80.tar.gz=20
> mini.tar.bz2=20
> Blue-1.0.tar
> qt6dlls.tar.bz2=20
>=20
> Those too are the same files that freebsd looks for, but all I get is a w=
hite dialog box saying=20

In case you didn't know, mplayerplug-in 0.80 is also in the ports
collection.

I experiences the same problems as you, but I managed to make the moves
at http://www.apple.com/trailers work. Here is what I did:

portupgrade -R mplayerplugin  (edit your /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf to
                               exclude some ports (e.g. XFree) and define
                               your preferred knobs for mplayer)
							  =20
Do you need a http proxy to access the web? In case you do, there is a
problem since the plugin does not use the browsers plugin setting (yet) but
simply forks an mplayer process.

The good news is, that mplayer respects the http_proxy environment
variable, so the following wrapper script made the quicktime movies
work for me (I suppose this has something to do with streaming since
other movie formats seem to be downloaded by the browser (which knows
your proxy) to a temporary file and then passed to mplayer)

mv /usr/local/bin/mplayer /usr/local/bin/mplayer.bin
create a shell script /usr/local/bin/mplayer

#!/bin/sh
http_proxy=3Dhttp://your.proxy:1234
export http_proxy
/usr/local/bin/mplayer.bin