Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:27:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        adsharma@home.com (Arun Sharma)
Cc:        newton@internode.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Call for review] init(8): new feature

Arun Sharma wrote:

 > Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au> writes:
 > > Arun Sharma wrote:
 > >
 > >  > While we're on the init topic, is there any strong feeling here about
 > >  > BSD /etc/rc* scripts Vs SysV ? The nice thing about SysV initscripts
 > >  > is the ability to start and stop any service that I like.
 > > That's fine -- there are lots of ways to start and stop any service you
 > > like without involving SysV init.
 >
 > Like sending a signal to the process providing the service ? The
 > problem with that approach is, the signal you send and the clean up
 > you do is non-standard for each service and having a standard
 > interface:

There are lots of ways to start and stop any service you like without
relying on sending a signal to a process and without involving SysV init.

This topic has been canvassed so many times by so many people that I can
only suggest that you run off to the archives and read about it there.

    - mark

----
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton@internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton@atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82232999