Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:08:23 +0000
From:      Matt H <freebsd-questions@cuntbubble.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is a good language for system administration?

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Python completely object orientated

you're wrong

> doesn't it force you to write your code in an OO structure ?
no

>[oo] just seems like overkill for the average day to day sysadmin
task.

also wrong :)

> Perl code can be ugly and wrong, but if written properly, it is easily
> readable and easy to work with.

but that's correct
there is nothing wrong with perl

Perl & python try to combine the best of procedural, object orientated and
functional programming perl has a more freeflow style and the famous
MTOWTDI (more than one way to do it)

It's regarded as evil by many because code produced by experienced perl
coders ends up looking obfuscated. Perl is modelled on natural language
and has a set of pronouns ($_ for instance). This way you can end up with
some very terse code. This is great if you program in perl all the time
because you remember which actions affect which pronouns. If you are an occasional perl programmer then this is when it starts to get confusing.

Myself, I prefer my variable names to be explicit. The code _should_ be the documentation.

In the end my advice stays the same, go and read the tutorials for each of the mentioned languages and decide from there. You'll end up reading them one day anyway!