Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:56:30 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        kris@hub.freebsd.org (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still problems with latest ATA

It seems Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Soren Schmidt wrote:
>
> > > Trying to play a track gives:
> > >
> > > acd0: PLAY_BIG - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=21 ascq=00 error=04
> >
> > I'll bet this drive doesn't support PLAY_BIG but only PLAY_MSF.
> > The problem here is that PLAY_MSF's parameters are either in
> > binary or in BCD, but you dont know which one to use, as this
> > is screwed in more drives than those missing PLAY_BIG.
>
> This drive worked fine under wcd. It would be kind of disconcerting to be
> told that my CD is no longer supported and I have to buy a new one.

Hmm, I'll have to check up on the exact model then...

> > > One of my WDC's still falls back to PIO mode at boot time (see previous
> > > messages, nothing has changed).
> >
> > Its not able to do DMA then, besides cluttering up the console with
> > the retries, it does work afterwards right ?
>
> It works fine afterwards, but according to
>
> http://www.westerndigital.com/products/drives/specs/oldspecs/AC26400.html
>
> it is certainly DMA-capable. It *does* say, interestingly, that older
> versions cannot do Ultra ATA 66 (I purchased this as an Ultra ATA 66
> drive, but..). I'll see what the diagnostic utility has to say about
> it.

I'm sorry to tell you, by my experience with WDC drives are, well, not
good, there has been lots of flukes. The latest ones that is relabeled
IBM drives works just fine though. Ssdly the same can be said about
Maxtor. For a laugh grep for all the blacklisted drives in the Linux
drivers :)

-Søren