Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:28:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, Gerald Abshez <gerald@manhattanprojects.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad won't boot ISO image

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > This is a problem with the thinkpad BIOS that I have not had the time to be
> > able to track down.  It would *appear* to be that the BIOS does not do
> > int 13 handling on boot cdroms, and the boot/loader makes much use of that
> > for loading the kernel and drivers.
>
> The problem with the Thinkpad BIOS is where it puts the emulated floppy
> image's disk number - it's not in the 'normal' place, and I don't exactly
> know how to deal with it cleanly.  If someone were to lend me a thinkpad
> or look at this it would be easy to fix.

I'd like to help look at this.  I have a ThinkPad 770 and it too exhibits
this behavior.  Unfortunately it's my only laptop so I can't loan it out
but I certainly would like to help out if I can.  I've got an
up-to-date -current running.  What code should I look at in sys/boot and
how do I figure out where the Thinkpad BIOS puts the emulated floppy
image's disk number?

Tom