Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:50:29 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jonathan Hamel" <los_alamos@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: Swap strategy

Jonathan Hamel <los_alamos@hotmail.com> types:
> <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>:
> >having to run XFree86-4, pretty heavy mozilla + netscape (I know netscape
> >sux, but I need to make sure my sites look the same in both browsers) +

I'm curious - do you actually try browsers that aren't designed to
look as much alike as possible? W3m? Lynx? Links? Amaya? Opera?

> I've had questions about this myself.  I remember that Linux installs
> generally recommend your swap space be at least double your RAM (so since I
> have 64MB in this machine, my swap would be 128MB).  Does the same apply to
> the BSD systems as well?

The 2x rule comes from wanting to do be able to get uncorrupted core
dumps. I consider it a bare minimum for any system for which you might
want to debug system crashes. For most normal desktop use, it's
probably more than sufficient, if you have enough memory for decent
performance.

The last sentence is the real clue. By the time you're running out of
swap, under normal conditions your performance has gone to hell in a
handbasket. You need to make sure you've got enough real to provide
decent performance. Having taken care of that, 2x is probably
enough. Given the difficulty of increasing swap, the low cost of disk,
and my penchant for memory-hungry things like LISP compilers, I tend
to go with 4x.

A laundry list of applications isn't really helpful in figuring out
how much memory you need. Usage patterns have a lot to do with
it. Some things - desktop managers, for instance - are known to be
pigs and in constant use. Others depend very much on your usage
patterns. If you always start a new netscape to look at a page, then
shut it down, it won't make much difference. If you leave it open all
the time, and have windows open on all 20 pages you're currently
working on, it might produce a noticable load. If your apache (which
you don't really need for doing static HTML) sits in the background
doing nothing unless you load a page from it, it's negligible. If
you've got a couple of browser windows open pulling stats from it at
regular intervals, things will be different.

	<mike