Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2000 21:20:10 -0800
From:      nathan@khmere.com
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.2-RELEASE will not boot after install ?

"Louis A. Mamakos" wrote:

> I had the same problem on an old PPro box.  The BIOS seemingly doesn't
> like the new (2 sector long) boot manager.  If you fire up sysinstall
> again, and tell it to install the "standard bootblocks" (forgot the
> exact phrase), rather than the boot manager, you'll probably be OK.
>
> louie
>
> > Don't know if I should post here but....
> >
> > I just installed 4.2-RELEASE onto a ppro 200 (had linux) the install
> > went without a hich. Then when I rebooted, the box just stopped. It
> > seemed like it could not read the mbr. So I booted  again off the
> > floppies and I used the loader to switched the currdev to the harddrive
> > (disk1s1a) it found the hardrive.  I then loaded the kernel from the
> > harddrive and booted off the harddrive. After I was up on the box I then
> > ran disklabel -B ad0 and thought that maybe the installation did not add
> > the boot reccord info. Rebooted agian to have the same problem as
> > before.  I then tried it agian with the flags for the boot code, no
> > luck. Finally I dd out the first 512 blocks of the harddrive and ran
> > strings on it. Seems that thier was nothing their ! so I was lucky
> > enough to have another 4.2 box and I just copied its first 512 blocks.
> > Now it boots fine !
> >
> > Is their a known issue with this ? or maybe I did something wrong ?
> >
> > thank you
> >
> > nathan

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

Hey thanks !!

I finally got a reply from this list for once :-)  (please flames for that
!!)

I think maybe you are right but I stil don't understand why the mbr was
different between my 2 4.2-RELEASE box's ? The one that worked was 4.2 by
make world... so maybe it has the left over boot code ? I thought that it
gets made and updated with make world ?

anyway no big deal, at least if someone else has the problem they can read
these posts !!

thanks once agian

nathan