Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 12:05:29 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Soft-updates sources are moving soon

  Here is the 1-question FAQ:

  Q. These symbolic links are a pain.  Why don't you just edit
  "src/sys/conf/files" appropriately?

  A. The license terms for soft-updates do not permit that.  See the
  FreeBSD mailing list archives (the FreeBSD-current list, probably) for
  more details.

Would it be legal under the licence to include a rule in some Makefile
which did the damn things, but was not automatically invoked anywhere?

o Seems to me this would preserve the fundamental "intentionality" of the
  desire to have, and enable the softupdates.

Would it be legal to include in standard CVSUP configs rules which prevent
loss of the links if installed?

o I may be wrong, but I think I loose them when I refresh if some rules
  are present.

-George

--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm@dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072