Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 1996 22:32:13 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Redgie Joy <redmike@ccsi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP

[moved from freebsd-doc to freebsd-questions, the more appropriate
 forum for this sort of thing. complete message quoted to give context
 to those on questions but not on doc]

Redgie Joy wrote in message ID
<31E18EA7.14EA@ccsi.com>:
> I am only emailing because of extreme problems.
> When I boot up with the boot floppy the first time it gives me
> ERROR C:0 H:0 S:0
> I have downloaded all the proper files with a binary connection and I
> have used rawrite.exe after formating a several floppies 3 times!!!
> I have tried it many times with a partition without formatted hard drive
> unformatted and have tried turning the auto feature on my bios for the
> hard drive off and manualy entering the numbers.

> I have a:

> Pentium 75
> 24mb EDO
> Quantum Fireball 540 connected to intel TRITON primary controller
> Number Nine s3 trio 64 chipset for video 2mb Vram
> NEC ATAPI cdrom 4X
> USR 14.4K V.42 Modem
> Awe32 Sound Blaster
> CHEAP ethernet card 10 mb per second standard settings
> ALL MY HARDWARE IS CONFIGURED AT DEFAULT FOR INSTALLATION PURPOSES

> CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME I AM IN DIRE NEED OF IT!!!

Wild guess: you are using rawrite on a Win95 box? Don't. Win95's
hardware protection scheme confuses rawrite, and rawrite silently
fails, even though it looks like it's working.

Maybe booting into DOS mode instead of Win95 will fix the problem, I'm
not sure offhand (I haven't contaminated either of my PC's with Win95,
and I don't plan to either).

If you aren't running 95, perhaps you are running some other MS OS
with similar results (NT?). The bottom line is: use rawrite from a
plain DOS booted system, none of this flashy stuff MS likes to throw
at you.

Gary