Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:03:11 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devel/autotools267 and UPDATING

--------------enigA1DC3C73D494BC65B36BAC2B

On 16/09/2010 11:43:04, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 16.09.2010 01:30, schrieb Barbara:
>>
>> I've just run portupgrade -ap, after getting the new autotools and rea=
ding=20
>> UPDATING.
>> >From what I can understand, as it's not a version bump but a new port=
 (I=20
>> realized it too late...). So maybe I should have used something like:
>> # portupgrade  -o devel/autoconf267 autoconf262
>> Am I wrong? If not, maybe a note in UPDATING should be needed.
>>
>> Now I have:
>> $ pkg_info -Ix autoconf-2.6
>> autoconf-2.62       Automatically configure source code on many Un*x=20
>> platforms=20
>> autoconf-2.67       Automatically configure source code on many Un*x=20
>> platforms=20
>>
>> And about the dependencies:
>> $ pkg_info -Rx autoconf-2.67
>> Information for autoconf-2.67:
>>
>> $ pkg_info -Rx autoconf-2.62
>> Information for autoconf-2.62:
>>
>> Required by:
>> automake-1.10.3
>> automake-1.11.1
>> automake-1.4.6_6
>> automake-1.5_6,1
>> automake-1.6.3_2
>> automake-1.7.9_3
>> automake-1.8.5_4
>> automake-1.9.6_4
>> autotools-20100915
>>
>> So it seems that all the rebuilt ports depends on autoconf-2.62 and so=
 I don't=20
>> know anymore which were the ports bumped for the dependency with the n=
ew=20
>> version to rebuild it after removing autoconf-2.62.
>=20
> I've reinstalled autotools with portmaster (in ports/ports-mgmt/portmas=
ter) to
> solve this. Might be worth a try.
>=20

autotools are generally just build dependencies for any of the ports
that you'ld want run on a machine -- ie. they only need to be there at
the point you build the port.  Once you've installed whatever it is, you
can delete just auto{conf,make} etc.   portmaster(1) even has options to
do that automatically.

You'll tend to end up with many different versions of autotools
installed over time, as ports get updated to use more recent versions.
Occasionally purging them all does no harm, and will save you a small
amount of disk space.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20