Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:43:25 +0900
From:      "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, jmz@FreeBSD.ORG, sf@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.1.0 and include/GL/glu.h

At Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:42:47 +0300,
sobomax wrote:
> No, it is tolally unrelated problem. This is due to the fact that the
> newest Mesa versions are built with pthreads by default, so due to
> FreeBSD stupidity in this area you have to link all ports that use Mesa3
> with -pthreads. This problem could be solved on 5-CURRENT by linking
> Mesa explicitly with -lc_r, but not on 4-STABLE.

Unfortunately, 5-CURRENT still has the stupidity.  When an application
first uses stdio without libc_r and then dynamically loads and calls
an external shared library that is linked with libc_r, stdio gets
messed up somehow.  Which means, these kind of applications must have
linked with libc_r in the first place.

Also, using libc_r, I've seen many coredumps occurred right after
fork() in a certain situation. (dumped cores didn't help much since
they were of just born processes)

We must investigate further and fix all these pthread problems by the
5.0-RELEASE, or it won't possibly happen until 6.0... ;)

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"Freeze this moment a little bit longer, make each impression
  a little bit stronger..  Experience slips away -- Time stand still"