Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 19:44:56 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Harry W Hale III" <harryhale@usa.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Private Home network

Mr. Hale....

    Did you ever get any real help with this?

My thought:  are you telling the interface to use DHCP
in /etc/rc.conf?  For example, for the RealTek 8139
family of NICs, the following should be in /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"

The 'rl0' would vary to another driver name for another
type of NIC.

If I understood your original question correctly, you desire
the FBSD box to grab its own configuration data from the
router for your LAN interface --- I think that ought to do
it.

Best of luck

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P.