Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2018 15:12:05 +0200
From:      Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>
Subject:   py-fail2ban turned silent after syslogd rollout (r335059, stable/11)

Hi,

this is 11.2-STABLE (r335532), and I am referring to the recent MFC of =
syslogd modifications [1].=20

Because I cannot judge whether fail2ban lacks support for the renewed =
syslogd or syslogd has an issue in receiving fail2ban messages I do =
crosspost this mail to ports and stable.

I do have fail2ban configured to report to SYSLOG:

	logtarget =3D SYSLOG
	syslogsocket =3D auto

But now, after upgrading to the new syslogd fail2ban refuses to report =
to syslogd; no single message gets recorded [2].

I did try to modify the syslogsocket setting to /var/run/log without =
success. Pointing logtarget to a regular files tells me that fail2ban is =
running as expected, it only lacks reporting to SYSLOG.

#) Does anyone else has running py-fail2ban at >=3D r335059 and can =
confirm my observations?=20
#) Any ideas how to debug this issue?

Thank you in advance and regards,
Michael

[1] =
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/11/usr.sbin/syslogd/Makefile?revisi=
on=3D335059&view=3Dmarkup&sortby=3Dfile
[2] both syslogd and fail2ban are running at the host, thus another =
issue with syslogd fixed in=20
    =
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&sortby=3Dfile&revision=3D3=
35314 does not apply