Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 2015 08:31:51 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update error ln: ///rescue/[: No such file or directory

On 15/06/2015 18:02, Paul Macdonald wrote:

> On 15/06/2015 17:48, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com> writes:
>>
>>> I just saw a large list of errors for freebsd-update of the form
>>>
>>> Installing updates...
>>>
>>> ln: ///rescue/[: No such file or directory
>>> ln: ///rescue/[: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> is this something to panic about?
>> Panic, no. But it is a problem; your /rescue tree is basically
>> unpopulated.
>>
>> You didn't hand-delete "/rescue/[", did you?
>>
>> I'm not sure what the best way to re-install rescue would be, but you
>> definitely want to do so. You might go years without needing it, but it
>> saves a lot of time (and panic) when you do.
>
> /rescue is populated ( see first email), but i do note that it's
> modification date is March, and that it does not have the odd looking [
> binary ( which i remember someone asking about in this list a while back).
> I'd assumed that something was truncated in output but can see now that
> it literally can't find /rescue/[
>
> scp'd [ from a different box, free-update fetch/update happy now.

Almost all entries in /rescue are the same file hard linked - try "ls -i
/rescue" to confirm this. Unless the missing file is one of the
exceptions (nextboot or dhclient-script on my system), you can recreate
it simply by hard linking

	ln /rescue/rescue /rescue/<missing>

Also "/rescue/rescue command args" acts like "/rescue/command args" for
any command that's crunched into rescue.

--
Those who do not learn from computing history are doomed to
GOTO 1