Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 95 10:58:00 PDT
From:      Plyaskin Sergey <splyaski@cmp.com>
To:        "' freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   QIC-80 tape backup and 2.0.5R?

Hi folks,

I'm running FreeBSD 2.0-950412 SNAP right now. The computer is 486DX2/66 VLB
with 3.5 floppy drive, Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM drive and Iomega Tape 250 backup
(QIC-80). I haven't used the CD-ROM drive yet but it seems to initialize
okay.  However, I was not able to get the tape backup to work. It is found
during the startup process but is not accessible after that. I believe,
because of absense of the second floppy drive, I have to change some kernel
settingsl and recompile. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, I'm planning to install 2.0.5R on this system. Can anyone tell me for
sure if this tape drive is supported right out-of-the-box without any
modifications. Otherwise, it would, probably, make sense to get just the
source code and play with it. This is highly undesirable because I do not
have time for that. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

 -serge