Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:02:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rdls@jezebel.demon.co.uk
Cc:        jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org, brett@lariat.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Your misconceptions about the GPL

> > >I could release my new megasuite under either BSD or GPL and will
> > >forfeit monetary gain through either route.
> >
> > Why is that?  You are still allowed to charge for commercial products,
> > correct?
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can choose to release _my_ product under
> both the GPL and my commercial licence, charging for the latter.
>
> What the GPL prevents is people taking my GPLed product and charging for
> a derived work. It doesn't restrict me in any way as the original
> copyright holder.
>
> That was the point I was trying to make.

Actually, it can restrict the original copyright holder from
integrating patches sent to him by people whose access to the
code was the result of them obtaining it via GPL, since the
patches are derivative of the GPL'ed work.

> I agree that the GPL is insidious, but you only really notice this when
> you look at the community as a whole, with each individual copyright
> holder mutually locking each other into the GPL.

Case in point of it applying to the original author.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.