Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 2015 17:54:19 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using pkg updating without /usr/ports

David Wolfskill wrote on 12/19/2015 14:46:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 02:26:47PM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am using own poudriere repo to build needed packages for our server. I
>> was used to `pkg_updating` or `pkg updating` in the past (when I was
>> compiling ports on each server).
>> I don't have /usr/ports on server anymore. So the `pkg updating` command
>> doesn't work. (There is no /usr/ports/UPDATING file)
>> Is there any standard way to use it without ports tree, just with my own
>> poudriere repo?
>
> I find that "pkg upgrade" works well for that purpose in my case.
>
> Note that this implies that /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/custom.conf
> has a pointer to my package repository, and that
> /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf indicates that use of the
> FreeBSD.org repository has been disabled -- e.g.:
>
> bats(10.2-S)[4] cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/custom.conf
> custom: {
>          # url: file:///net/freebeast/local/amd64/local/poudriere/data/packages/10amd64-ports-home
>          url: file:///mnt
>          enabled: yes,
> }
> bats(10.2-S)[5] cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
> FreeBSD: {
>          enabled: no
> }
> bats(10.2-S)[6]
>
> ("bats" being a machine that does not have a /usr/ports, and
> "freebeast" being my build machine.  The comment for custom.conf
> is intended to document that I need to explicitly mount the pkg
> repo before accessing it, as bats does not run an automounter (while
> another machine that is treated otherwise similarly does run an
> automounter, and thus does not need the explicit mount first).)

pkg update and pkg upgrade works fine for me too, but pkg updating not.
pkg updating is intended to read /usr/ports/UPDATING file and compare
its content to installed packages and show important messages before
running `pkg upgrade`.
But UPDATING file is not automatically synchronised between build server
and 'client' (machine where I need to run `pkg updating`).

Miroslav Lachman