Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:25:16 +0300
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
To:        "N.J. Mann" <njm@njm.me.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: mechanism for local patches

* N.J. Mann (njm@njm.me.uk) wrote:

> > I suppose that check was done to help to detect patching failures, so it
> > may be removed.
>
> I've just been trying out your patch and I think from an organisational
> point of view it is very good.  What I mean by this is that with the
> patch I am now able to keep my local patches completely separate from
> the official, FreeBSD patches.  No more backing up the whole of
> /usr/ports just in case I have a private patch in there somewhere.  Now
> I just need to backup /usr/ports.localpatchdir (which is what I called
> the directory LOCAPATCHDIR points to).

Nice to hear that it's useful :)

> However, please consider putting back in the test for *.orig and *~
> files.  That way one can be actively be hacking on a patch without
> having to keep deleting editor backup files, which you may not wish to
> delete anyway, before attempting another build.  In my case I see no
> need to skip *.rej and *,v files, but others may have a need for them.

Done, patch updated.

Btw, as someone who uses it, what do you think about the fact that
local patches are applied after FreeBSD ones? (see my doubts up the
thread).

> I hope some form of your patch gets into the tree once 7.1 ships.

Will try to make it in after the release.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3@amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3@jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru