Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 15:41:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   disk scheduling...

I seem to remember this was debated some time ago but do not remember
the status of the code. At any rate.. on a 2.2.1 system (SCSI for what
matters), I am doing moving a large subtree from one position to
another, and it turns out that during this operation interactive
performance is awful for data which is not cached. I think to remember
that the explaination was that there is no fair sharing of disk access,
so a process queueing large blocks of io can eat almost all the
resources.

I am not sure if the problem can be solved easily (in that at some
point transactions might have become anonymous...)

Still if I wanted to look at possible solutions, can someone point
me to the right place (documentation, sources, hints etc. ?)
Perhaps some VM guru can help ?

	Thanks
	Luigi