Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 21:19:25 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quake3! - So, where can I frag you :-)

Just got around to trying Quake3 Test after stepping up to 3.2R, and man it
is sweet!.  Like Ken Krebs said, it just ...works!  Kudos and great job
everyone that played a part!  (3.2-RELEASE, Voodoo1 Canopus Pure3D here)

Now, where's the quake server FreeBSD folks hang out on?!  It's payback
time! :-)

Only two strange things I've seen so far, and I don't know if its
linux_emul or an inherent problem with q3test.  First, sometimes the
modifier keys get "stuck".  The gun (activated by Ctrl) will be firing
madly though I'm not touching the keyboard.  Seems that q3test is somehow
missing the key break event.  I think I saw this with Slide (Alt) as well
as head up/down (A/Z), though I'm not sure about the last.

Also, when keying in a quake server to start an "Internet Game", hitting
the shift key causes a repeat of the previously-typed character.  Shift is
needed to type a ":" for the quake server (host:port), so I ended up
playing a game to get the right host:port in there.  E.g. to type:

                          12.21.16.19:27960

I'd type:

                          12.21.16.1999<BkSpc><Shft>:27960

<BkSpc> would nuke the last 9, <Shft> would erase the 9 before that
(repeating the last keypress), and I'd be good-to-go for the colon.
Strange.

But those little details aside, this is great fun.  I don't think I've
enjoyed myself so much in FreeBSD since the Bt848 driver first came out ;-)

Randall