Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 18:01:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   setting a var

I have a problem, I'd love to hear suggestions as to how to fix it/

I have a port nearly ready, of a2ps.  The trouble is that, in building the
port, a variable is required to be set, that of PAPERSIZE.  I have that
part of it completely worked out (very nicely) but I want to force, in the
package phase, the veriable PAPERSIZE to be embedded into the package
name.

In itself, that's no problem, and I have that done.  The trouble comes in
when I want to insure that the same PAPERSIZE variable that was used in
building the port, is used in doing the packaging.  At the beginning of
the build, I drop a ".media" file into $(WRKDIR), having the value of the
PAPERSIZE variable.  That works fine.  What I want is to be able to
intialize (during the package phase) PAPERSIZE from reading the text in
that .media file.  THAT's the part I can't yet get done.

I know I could easily do this using GNU make, but this is the port's
makefile, not the source's, and bsd make executes it.  Anyone know how I
can get this done?

One thing ... I tried doing PAPERSIZE!= cat $(WRKDIR)/.media ... it says
work/.media: not found.  Like it's trying to execute the file.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |