Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 95 06:28:25 -0700
From:      Bob Hinden <hinden@ipsilon.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Comments on 2.0.5 Install

I completed my upgrade to 2.0.5.  I have a few comments, suggestions, and
observations.

I did the install via FTP.  Overall I liked it a lot.  I used to work at Sun
and I think the FreeBSD install is better and easier than what Sun does with
Solaris.  Nice work!

I had to do the install twice because the first time I selected the install
option which said sources (but no X) because I thought I would get OS source, X
binaries but no X sources.  What I got was no X at all.  I think it would be
helpful if this menu choice was clearer.

I found the disk partition and label parts of the install a bit skimpy on
online documentation.  I would have been helped more if gave me more guidance
on what to create.  Perhaps a options where it will set up all three unix
partitions (root, swap, /usr) with default sizes for root and swap would make
it easier.

I was also supprised to find that when I did the second install that it did not
find the labels I had created for the first install.  It made me do them over
again.

The package part of the install only tried to find a CDROM.  There did not
appear to be a way to also get it to use FTP.  This would be a nice addition.

Overall it was very nice and I like FreeBSD a lot!  Hope this is helpful.

Bob