Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:11:41 -0400
From:      "Lisa Casey" <lisa@jellico.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Bind problem

Hi All,

I seem to have a bit of a problem with my Bind installation on FreeBSD 5.3.
When I first setup this box, I installed the Bind 8.4 from the ports. Soon
afterwards, I decided to go with Bind 9 so I installed that from the ports.
Now Bind seems to have an identity problem.

When I boot the box I get this in /var/log/messages:

Jul 10 15:05:32 netlink named[292]: starting (/etc/namedb/named.conf).
named 8.
4.4 Thu Sep 22 14:07:24 EDT 2005
lisa@netlink.jellico.com:/usr/ports/dns/
bind84/work/src/bin/named
Jul 10 15:05:32 netlink named[292]: limit files set to fdlimit (1024)
Jul 10 15:05:32 netlink named[292]: /etc/namedb/named.conf:104: Ignoring
BIND 9
inet control clause
Jul 10 15:05:32 netlink named[293]: Ready to answer queries.

When I do a named -v to see which version of Bind is running I get this:

netlink# named -v
BIND 9.3.0

ndc (a Bind 8 program) doesn't work, I get this error:

netlink# ndc
Type   help  -or-   /h   if you need help.
ndc> help
(builtin) start - start the server
(builtin) restart - stop server if any, start a new one
ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): No such file or directory
ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/var/run/ndc)

And rndc doesn't work either:

netlink# rndc stop
rndc: connect failed: connection refused
netlink# rndc start
rndc: connect failed: connection refused
netlink# rndc status
rndc: connect failed: connection refused

I'm not exactly sure how I created this mess, but what would be the best way
to fix this? I really want to be running Bind 9.

Thanks,

Lisa Casey