Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:51:33 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matt Jacob <mjacob@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, alpha@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/alpha dokern.sh drivers.conf

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 05:58:49AM -0800, Matt Jacob wrote:
> mjacob      2002/11/08 05:58:49 PST
>=20
>   Modified files:
>     release/alpha        dokern.sh drivers.conf=20
>   Log:
>   Make changes such that the kernel will now fit on floppy #1.
>  =20
>   This involves moving all networking drivers to floppy 2, all RAID
>   nfsclient && cd9660 to floppy 3 (and adding ispfw).
>  =20
UFS_DIRHASH and MSDOSFS were already deleted; these are now duplicates.

>   COMPAT_FREEBSD4 had to come back, maxusers is down to 2.
>  =20
Why COMPAT_FREEBSD4 is being put back?  Isn't it COMPAT_43, as documented
in kern_sig.c, that is needed for longjmp(3) to work on Alphas?

>   AHC is out until somebody can make it a module for alpha.
>  =20
It was so since November 3rd.  Are you testing with old sources?

>   TurboLaser is out because it rarely has a floppy and probably
>   no longer works *anyway*.
>  =20
>   There's probably some cleanup that can be done because I was told
>   that things in drivers.conf don't have to be removed via dokern.sh,
>   but because I formally tested the release build with this version
>   and don't want to spend another half day on it, it's going in.
>  =20
Yes, you were told the truth.  The entries that are already in
drivers.conf are unnecessary here:

+       -e '/ahc/d' \
+       -e '/mpt.*MPT/d' \
+       -e '/txp/d' \
+       -e '/dc.*21143/d' \
+       -e '/de.*Tulip/d' \
+       -e '/fxp/d' \
+       -e '/rl.*Real/d' \
+       -e '/tl.*Texas/d' \
+       -e '/vr.*VIA/d' \
+       -e '/xl.*Boom/d' \
+       -e '/vx.*Vort/d' \
+       -e '/miibus/d' \

You also seem to have removed the tun(4) and ch(4) drivers, without
mentioning.  Was this on purpose, or by accident?  (i386 version
sucks from removing tun(4) too.)  This in essence makes the ppp(8)
pretty useless, since tun(4) is not available as the module either.

+       -e '/tun.*unnel/d' \
+       -e '/ch.*media/d' \

>   I'm sure we'll have to do some further changes prior to release.
>  =20
>   NB: Not tested end to end yet because I've been told that sysinstall
>   doesn't yet work.
>  =20
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.59      +22 -4     src/release/alpha/dokern.sh
>   1.9       +11 -7     src/release/alpha/drivers.conf

More problems.  In drivers.conf, miibus and dc are now duplicated.
mpt is now removed by dokern.sh and you've removed the corresponding
line from drivers.conf -- the net effect is that mpt(4) is no longer
available as the module on the 2nd floppy.

You also did not mention that isp(4) is now back in the kernel, which
is great.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,