Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:37:06 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Rus Foster <rghf@fsck.me.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proper way to upgrade packaes from ports

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:00:49AM +0100, Rus Foster wrote:

>  I've got a general question. Say I've install /usr/ports/net/foobar_0.1,
> I do a cvsup and see new foo_bar0.2. What is the best way to upgrade?
> Either pkg_rm foobar_0.1 + pkg_add foobar_0.2, force the installation
> of 0.2 or is there some other way?

The third way: which is to install and use portupgrade -- it's in
ports/sysutils/portupgrade.

Generally, directories under /usr/ports don't have any sort of version
information in the name, with some exceptions.  Updating those ports
is handled very smoothly by portupgrade.

However, if there are two different versioned ports, eg.  www/apache13
and www/apache2, (or even www/mozilla and www/mozilla-devel), then
they are separate ports.  Don't assume that just because they have
similar names that one can be trivially substituted for the other.
Sometimes you can, but more usually it takes a lot of bodging around to
sort out dependencies and so forth if it can be done at all.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow