Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2010 06:56:02 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/147347: [patch][handbook] Request for comments on memstick install instructions

On 7/20/10 12:21 AM, Warren Block wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Glen Barber wrote:
>
>> The section is currently modeled after the floppy disk install
>> section, which I did not remove as 7.3-RELEASE still contains the
>> floppy disks on the CD; though I noted floppy disk images were not
>> included in 8.0 and newer.
>>
>> I'd like to get feedback from the documentation community before
>> filing a PR.
>
> Filling the first 1K with zeros and labeling and newfs-ing the stick
> should not be necessary, as the image will overwrite that anyway.
>
> For the actual image, conv=sync should not be needed, and might as well
> use a 64k buffer:
>
> <screen>&prompt.root; <userinput>dd
> if=&rel.current;-RELEASE-&arch.i386;-memstick.img
> of=/dev/<replaceable>da0</replaceable> bs=64k</userinput></screen>

Thanks for the feedback.

I have an updated patch available at:

	http://www.glenbarber.us/docs/handbook.install.sgml.diff

Now, when I had done my USB install, I had a problem where the USB stick
was not bootable until I zeroed the first 1k blocks.  I did have
previous data on the device, which perhaps was the problem.  dd-ing the
.img to the device wrote the information as expected; I just could not
boot from it.  I left this part in, as I personally ran into this,
though I removed labeling and newfs-ing.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber