Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 00:14:35 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, dfr@FreeBSD.ORG, dfr@nlsystems.com, romanp@wuppy.rcs.ru
Subject:   Re: Problems with nfsstat and dynamic OID

>>The old interface is the standard one (although the above code shows how
>>inconvenient it is).  mountd uses it too.
>
>There is nothing "less standard" about sysctlbyname to my knowledge...

sysctl() is in Linux (starting in 2.1.x), BSD4.4, NetBSD, OpenBSD, etc.
sysctlbyname() is in FreeBSD (starting in 2.2).

Some of the Linux sysctl numbers are even binary compatible.  However,
all Linux filesystem sysctls are incompatible, starting with the top-level
identifier being named CTL_FS instead of CTL_VFS.

Bruce