Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 23:35:53 -0600
From:      "David A. Richards" <dar@illumen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dar@illumen.net, ekraj@illumen.net
Subject:   Help! - FreeBSD file system corruption

Hi there,
I have had filesystem corruption on two separate
FreeBSD boxes.. for no other reason than they're
running. Load is very small at this point, for
both servers.

Installation went smooth on both boxes.
Both boxes use one IDE drive each, so SCSI

1st server:
===========
FreeBSD Current 2.2.1
Generic kernel
Intel P-100
Fugu PCI Motherboard, integrated controller (new out of the box)
Samsung 2GB IDE Drive (again, brand new)
running Apache, Sendmail, DNS
with a very light load, up and running for about 2 weeks

I Did a fsck yesterday due to paranoia from what happened earlier
to the second machine and it was clean then

Today I did a fsck and it is showning minor corruption:
(only thing I did last night was build a 5 mb tar archive of
our webpages)

heres the output of fsck:
=========================

bash# fsck
** /dev/rwd0a
** Last Mounted on /
** Root file system
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
UNREF FILE I=215100  OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=31737 MTIME=Apr 15 07:46 1997
CLEAR? [yn] n

UNREF FILE I=215103  OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=541 MTIME=Apr 13 03:34 1997
CLEAR? [yn] n

UNREF FILE I=215105  OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=704 MTIME=Apr 13 17:13 1997
CLEAR? [yn] n

UNREF FILE I=215107  OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=18890 MTIME=Apr 15 11:54 1997
CLEAR? [yn] n

UNREF FILE I=215109  OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=3701 MTIME=Apr 13 01:57 1997
CLEAR? [yn] n

UNREF FILE I=215150  OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=2902 MTIME=Apr 11 22:57 1997
CLEAR? [yn] n

** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
SALVAGE? [yn] n

SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
SALVAGE? [yn] n

CLEAN FLAG NOT SET IN SUPERBLOCK
FIX? [yn] n

10128 files, 120196 used, 1819115 free (1827 frags, 227161 blocks, 0.1%
fragmentation)
bash#

2nd server:
===========
FreeBSD Current 2.2
Generic kernel
Intel DX4-100
FIC EISA Motherboard
Maxtor 350 MB IDE Drive
running DNS
no load to speak of

As anyone can see, this is pretty basic hardware.. nothing fancy.
This one got seriously corrupted.. I synced and rebooted it after
about 5 days of operation (do-nothing operation, except for cron jobs
and the like, and minor edits with vi) and it wouldn't come
up fully (config files like "sysconfig" in /etc were almost all
corrupt) .. managed to fsck and countless errors came up,
so I trashed the disk, and reinstalled on a 1.2 GB Fujitsu drive.
Before installing on the original Maxtor drive I checked it for
any bad blocks and it was clean so that shouldnt be an issue.
The new drive seems to be okay so far but it's only been up 2 days.

Any ideas on what's causing this apparently random file corruption
would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

* David A Richards		Systems Integrator   *
* The illumen Group, Inc.	www.illumen.com      *
* Email				dar@illumen.com      *
* Personal Web			www.illumen.com/~dar *