Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 17:14:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   de driver problems/ CRC errors with 2.2.1-RELEASE

Digital HX6000, P6200/512, 32MB RAM, onboard Adaptec 7880, UW's, Toshiba
12X CDROM, 1 2GB seagate Barracude (wide), 1 SMC dual port 10/100 card.

This box is hooked to a 3COM Superstack II Switch 3000, (A 100MB switch).

Any heavy NFS access (like via iozone on NFS partition) generates
kazillions of CRC align errors, at the rate of 30-40/second.  (At least,
according to the 3com switch, and the output of netstat).

lighter access doesn't seem to do it.

For example, running bonnie, the putc phase generates oodles of errors,
but the rewrite phase generates maybe 1 or 2 per page of output.

Any tips appreciated, I've been happy with the de driver, but this
is not acceptable or usable.

BTW, I took a box with a much older 2.2 kernel, from around October or so,
and plugged it in, and zero problems.  So it seems like a moderately
recent development.