Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:35:15 -0700
From:      tweek <tweek.20k@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   STB2 BT878 - sound works under Windows XP and btwincap, doesn't with bktr

I have an STB2 bt878 card, purchased for $12 on eBay. It works great
under XP with btwincap, with or without an analog audio cable that
runs from the card to my soundcard. In FreeBSD with a kernel compiled
with bktr support, I can see video clearly with fxtv
(http://tweek.no-ip.org/stuff/hockey.png) but can't hear anything.
(Tried both audio internal and audio auto modes.)

None of the mixers are muted; sound works. Here's some relevant lines
from my dmesg:

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xd0001000-0xd0001fff irq 11 at device 14.0 on pci0
bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
bktr0: STB TV/PCI, Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner, dbx stereo.
pci0: <multimedia> at device 14.1 (no driver attached)
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0x1040-0x107f irq 5 at device 15.0 on pci0
pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9721/23 AC97 Codec>
pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

... and some relevant lines from my kernel:

device          joy
device          bktr
device          iicbus
device          iicbb
device          iicsmb
device          smbus
options         BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_NTSC
options         OVERRIDE_CARD=3
options         OVERRIDE_TUNER=9
options         BKTR_NEW_MSP34XX_DRIVER
device          sio
device          sound
device          "snd_es137x"

The driver I'm using for XP, btwincap, (btwincap.sourceforge.net)
gives this advice for making sound work. Sound won't work unless I set
these options. As a user I'm not entirely sure whether bktr has code
specific to any of these chips.

"One of the users of the driver managed to make audiowork with an STB
card : Here it goes the recipe!

Get the latest version of the drivers from the Web site (you will need
at least 5.1.0 drivers for this to work)

Execute the installer. When you are asked for the card you have,
tuner, you have, etc, you should set:

CARD -- STB2
Tuner -- Philips 1236 input 2
and then for the chips (this options are under the "advanced" button
at this page of the installer)

TDA 9850 set to "Yes" , 12c address 0xb6, (also try 0xb4 if audio does
not work)
TEA 6420 set to "Yes" 12c address 0x98
TDA 7432 set to "Yes" 12c address 0xff (the driver will autodetect it)

All the other chips can be left in "Auto" mode, or perhaps you prefer
to set them to "No" Go on and install the driver... Audio should work
now!"

I can provide more information if needed. It'd be nice to get this
working, as I don't have a TV in my dorm room. (Though with the NHL
dead, what's the point, right?) If anyone thinks of a way to do this,
or has a working STB2 card, please respond.

tweek.20k@gmail.com