Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:53:30 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        "3Phase" <Phase3@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chicken vs Egg

"3Phase" writes:
>  FreeBSD 4.0 A full 4.4 BSD Lite Based 32-bit Operating System.
[...]
>  I'm copying this from an envelope I wrote the dmesg text output on. No
> printer, yet.
[...]

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.0R/notes.html says:
> A new ATA/ATAPI driver has been implemented. The aim of this new
> subsystem is to maximise performance on modern ATA/ATAPI based
> systems. The "ata" driver supports all major chipsets including those
> used on PCI card based controllers like the Promise and the Abit/SIIG.
> There is support for busmaster DMA transfers upto and  including the
> new ATA/66 mode.

How about that? I'm guessing FreeBSD 4.0-R doesn't know what an ATA/100
drive is, such as your Maxtor, and to be safe it uses BIOSPIO mode.

Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.2. It knows ATA/100 and will do the right thing on
an ATA/33 interface if that's all you have. You will notice much better
performance and much much much less CPU utilization during disk
activity.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net