Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:42:51 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Campbell, Glenn" <CampbellG@mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel SE7500CW2 Mainboard SMP Problems

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Terry Lambert writes:
>  > > Is it possible our AP spinup code has never been tried with CPUs at
>  > > anything other than the next physical id (eg, 1)?
>  >
>  > This was not the case historically.  AP on 6 was the standard
>  > for the boards PHK and Jack Vogel had.  I know that there was
>  > code to rewrite the APIC ID to linearize them, at one time.
>  >
>  > Is it now being assumed that it's linear?  The ID is basically
>
> Not that I know -- it was just a WAG.  All the x86 mp boards I've seen
> have had the first AP at #1, so I was assuming there might be a
> problem.

Nope, the system does not care about this.  We use a logical to physical
addressing layer.

eg:  quad xeon (Intel SKA2):
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Flags
                 3       0x11    BSP, usable     6       7       3       0x387fbff
                 0       0x11    AP, usable      6       7       3       0x387fbff
                 1       0x11    AP, usable      6       7       3       0x387fbff
                 2       0x11    AP, usable      6       7       3       0x387fbff

compaq DL380:
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Flags
                 3       0x10    BSP, usable     6       11      1       0x383fbff
                 0       0x10    AP, usable      6       11      1       0x383fbff

> Drew

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-smp" in the body of the message

Cheers,
-Peter