Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 110 17:33:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil (Craig Huckabee)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stupid ftpd question

> 	How can I set up my FreeBSD anonymous ftp server so that it
> 	defaults to transfer type 'binary' instead of 'ascii'?   I'm using
> 	wu-ftpd out of the ports collection on a 2.1-RELEASE machine.
> 	Since everything I will have online will be images (CAD files)
> 	I want to go ahead and default transfer type to 'binary'.

	That's not a stupid question at all.
	That answer....on the other hand....

		As far as I know the transfer type is purely a client
		side configuration matter.  In other words --

			I doubt that you can (via ftp).

	(I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on this.  However I'm
	sure that ftp.cdrom.com and the maintainers of simtel,
	cica, garbo, and other popular ftp sites would have done this
	long, long, long ago -- if they could).

Jim Dennis,
System Administrator,
McAfee Associates