Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 23:26:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        jin@george.lbl.gov
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question on lkm / kld in 3.3-RELEASE or later

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999 jin@george.lbl.gov wrote:

> It seems that lkm is no longer working after 3.3, it complains regardless
> the mod is compiled in aout or elf (setenv OBJFORMAT before doing compiling):
>
> # modload -ezatm_mod /lkm/znatmdrv.o
> ld: /kernel: malformed input file (not rel or archive)
> modload: /usr/bin/ld: return code 1
>
> So, it looks like that kld is the way to go. However, there is no
> miscellaneous module under kld (/usr/share/examples/kld/{cdev, syscall}).
> Below is some comment in kld/cdev/module/cdevmod.c, It says that cdev
> module is "a miscellaneous module".
>
> Will kld provide a miscellaneous module in the future? or miscellaneous
> module is merged with cdev module?
>
> Thanks for any information,

There aren't any specific module types for KLD. Basically, we just run all
the SYSINITs in the code which is loaded. Virtually anything can be built
from that and we have provided hooks for registering filesystems, devices,
syscalls, etc. To do something else, just use a SYSINIT to call a custom
initialisation function of your own.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com