Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:15:11 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1013051711.4d56c3@mired.org>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <ma@absolight.fr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the LINT file

Mathieu Arnold <ma@absolight.fr> types:
> Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> > I'm actually upgrading one of my test box from 4_4 to 4_5, and I
> > stumbled on this :
> >
> > # Tune the kernel malloc area parameters.  VM_KMEM_SIZE represents the
> > # minimum, in bytes, and is typically (12*1024*1024) (12MB).
> > # VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX represents the maximum, typically 200 megabytes.
> > # VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE can be set to adjust the auto-tuning factor, which
> > # typically defaults to 4 (kernel malloc area size is physical memory
> > # divided by the scale factor).
> > #
> > options        VM_KMEM_SIZE="(10*1024*1024)"
> > options        VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX="(100*1024*1024)"
> > options        VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE="4"
> >
> > the comment says that VM_KMEM_SIZE is set to 12MB but it's set to 10,
> > and that _MAX is set to 200 but it's set to 100...

> > I heard once that if the comment and the code differed, they were both
> > wrong :)

Note that, for each variable, the comment says that it is "typically"
set to those values. LINT isn't your typical kernel config.

> > so, what should be the default values ?

Check GENERIC, that's the kernel that's installed on FreeBSD by
default.

> # Tune the buffer cache maximum KVA reservation, in bytes.  The maximum
> is
> # usually capped at 200 MB, effecting machines with > 1GB of ram.  Note
> # that the buffer cache only really governs write buffering and disk
> block
> # translations.  The VM page cache is our primary disk cache and is not
> # effected by the size of the buffer cache.
> #
> options                VM_BCACHE_SIZE_MAX="(100*1024*1024)"
>
> it says 200M in the comment, but 100 in the code

It also says "usually" in the comment.

> # Tune the swap zone KVA reservation, in bytes.  The default is
> typically
> # 70 MB, giving the system the ability to manage a maximum of 28GB worth
> # of swapped out data.
> #
> options                VM_SWZONE_SIZE_MAX="(50*1024*1024)"
>
> 70 -> 50...

And again, it says "typically".

You apparently didn't read the first part of LINT:

# LINT -- config file for checking all the sources, tries to pull in
#	as much of the source tree as it can.

I.e. - it's a file for checking the sources. Changing parameters from
their default values is part of that checking.

A little further down, you find:

# NB: You probably don't want to try running a kernel built from this
# file.  Instead, you should start from GENERIC, and add options from
# this file as required.

Start with GENERIC. Read LINT to find more options, or to find out
more about the options in GENERIC.

	<mike