Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 01:22:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stefanos Kiakas <stefanos@dns1.e-scape.net>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   MacOSX, X, GNUstep etc

	Mac OS X is basically Nextstep/Openstep with cosmetic GUI
changes for the average Mac user. It was possible to run X apps
under Nextstep/Openstep by using software which implemented X on top
of the Display Postscript server.

	The most interesting part of Mac OS X is the OpenStep object
oriented framework for implementing applications. This framework
is being implemented by GNUstep (www.gnustep.org), using the LGPL
license.

	Several Nextstep/Openstep developers have said they will make
their applications available for Linux/FreeBSD if GNUstep is source
compatible with the work done by Apple. If porting an application
is simple enough, I'm sure we can encourage other Mac developers to
provide their applications for FreeBSD.

	Although I have not had the time to compile GNUstep on FreeBSD,
I remember reading about the success of other users in compiling and
running the GNUstep test applications under FreeBSD 3.1.

stef