Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:34:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, robert@ml.erje.net
Subject:   Re: Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support

Robert Joosten wrote:

 > > In that case you can savely mount with the -L option
 > > (a.k.a. "-o nolockd"), an everything will just work.
 > > No need for rpc.lockd at all.
 >
 > Hmm, yes. Fiddling in etc/fstab and /etc/rc.d/initdiskless didn't help.
 > Where am I expected to fiddle to enable this ?

In the place where the mount happens.  It depends on
how your PXE clients are set up, i.e. when they mount
which file systems.

When I set up a bunch of disklesse clients, I configured
them to mount the root file system read-only (the kernel
does this via the various "BOOTP" options), and the rest
via /etc/fstab.  In that case the -L option should be put
in /etc/fstab, like this:

fsrv:/exp/client01/var   /var   nfs   rw,nosuid,-L   0   0

I'm afraid I don't know how to specify any mount options
for the root file system when mounting it via the kernel's
BOOTP options, but if you mount it read-only (or just treat
it as read-only), then it's not necessary anyway because
nothing will try to lock something on it.  Make sure that
all writable directories (/tmp, /var, /home etc.) are
separat from the root file system, i.e. either local (mdfs
for /tmp, for example) or mounted via /etc/fstab.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  I never use initdiskless and friends, but rather
brew my own diskless setup.  YMMV.

"To this day, many C programmers believe that 'strong typing'
just means pounding extra hard on the keyboard."
        -- Peter van der Linden