Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:29:22 -0800
From:      Hooloovoo <xyzzy@ns.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   a little tcp/ip problem...

--------------CAD9FEEAA2B8D8B696075D85

i need some help, and i am hoping you can either assist me or at least
point me in the right direction. i posted this same message to
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc and to the FreeBSD.WWWBoard, but i haven't
gotten a response. ok, granted it's only been a couple of days...

i installed freeBSD and i am having major trouble getting the network to
function. i have the BSD machine and an NT machine on a 10BaseT
Ethernet. the BSD machine has an Intel EtherExpress 16, which took a
while to get configured, but now seems to work properly. according to
the freeBSD handbook, and the output from ifconfig and netstat,
everything should be working.

i believe the problem is NOT hardware, because if i reboot the BSD
machine into Win95 (uh! blasphemy!) both machines see each other just
fine.

here is--roughly--what i have tried so far:

ping from BSD
-------------
o no response
o kick off tcpdump in background, try again
  - now I see arp frames (who-has/tell)
o add NT arp entry on BSD, try again
  - now see ip frames (icmp echo request)
  - hub activity: Tx & Rx light BOTH ports
  - however no response comes back
  - NT shows no frames incoming

ping from NT
------------
o timed out
o start utility which shows frame type and count, but that's all
  (unfortunately i could not find an NT port of tcpdump), try again
  - now I see arp frames (i assume who-has/tell)
o add BSD arp entry on NT, try again
  - now see ip frames (i assume echo request)
  - hub activity: Tx light for BSD, Rx for NT (why only 2? and if so,
    i would expect them to be the other way around...)
  - no response comes back
  - BSD shows no frames incoming

does anybody have any ideas? i am kinda stuck...it's a bit difficult to
install software without the network running :(
TIA

--
---[ Hooloovoo ]-----------
--

--------------CAD9FEEAA2B8D8B696075D85

<HTML>
i need some help, and i am hoping you can either assist me or at least
point me in the right direction. i posted this same message to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
and to the FreeBSD.WWWBoard, but i haven't gotten a response. ok, granted
it's only been a couple of days...

<P>i installed freeBSD and i am having major trouble getting the network
to function. i have the BSD machine and an NT machine on a 10BaseT Ethernet.
the BSD machine has an Intel EtherExpress 16, which took a while to get
configured, but now seems to work properly. according to the freeBSD handbook,
and the output from ifconfig and netstat, everything should be working.

<P>i believe the problem is NOT hardware, because if i reboot the BSD machine
into Win95 (uh! blasphemy!) both machines see each other just fine.

<P>here is--roughly--what i have tried so far:

<P><TT>ping from BSD</TT>
<BR><TT>-------------</TT>
<BR><TT>o no response</TT>
<BR><TT>o kick off tcpdump in background, try again</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - now I see arp frames (who-has/tell)</TT>
<BR><TT>o add NT arp entry on BSD, try again</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - now see ip frames (icmp echo request)</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - hub activity: Tx &amp; Rx light BOTH ports</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - however no response comes back</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - NT shows no frames incoming</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>ping from NT</TT>
<BR><TT>------------</TT>
<BR><TT>o timed out</TT>
<BR><TT>o start utility which shows frame type and count, but that's all</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; (unfortunately i could not find an NT port of tcpdump),
try again</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - now I see arp frames (i assume who-has/tell)</TT>
<BR><TT>o add BSD arp entry on NT, try again</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - now see ip frames (i assume echo request)</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - hub activity: Tx light for BSD, Rx for NT (why only 2?
and if so,</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; i would expect them to be the other way around...)</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - no response comes back</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - BSD shows no frames incoming</TT>
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>does anybody have any ideas? i am kinda stuck...it's a bit difficult
to install software without the network running :(
<BR>TIA

<P>--
<BR>---[ Hooloovoo ]-----------
<BR>--