Date:      Fri, 08 Aug 2003 07:49:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      doug@allensystemconsultants.com
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot with dirty filesystem?

I have a small problem.  I've had a machine go down and it came back
up with dirty filesystem on /var and /usr.  fsck has solved the
problem with /var, after 10 times through.  fsck seems unable to
resolve the inconsistencies with /usr however.  fsck is running for
the 15th time right now.  It looks to me like a probable bad sector on
the disk.

My question is there a way to force the machine to boot with a dirty
filesystem, so that I can pull data from /etc to move to a new disk?
Barring that, is there still a procedure to force the system to boot,
update the inodes with whatever information it can find, and mark the
other files as unreadable?

Thanks in advance.

Doug Allen