Date:      Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:39:40 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-bluetooth@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
Cc:        bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asus bluetooth device - 0x1712

On 06/15/11 06:17, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, Da Rock wrote:
>

>>> first, question: did you load ng_ubt(4) driver?
>>>

>> Naturally. Its in the handbook, and you never discount the handbook :)
>>
>>> if you did  and device is still not recognized, could you please dump
>>> device descriptor, i.e. use usbconfig(8) dump_device_desc command
>>>

>> ugen5.2:<product 0x1712 vendor 0x0b05>  at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL
>> (12Mbps) pwr=ON
>>
>>    bDeviceClass = 0x00e0
>>    bDeviceSubClass = 0x0001
>>    bDeviceProtocol = 0x0001
>>
> seems like the ng_ubt driver should attach to this directly..

Probably would if it recognised the product then. What is the correct
way to do this then? I know about usbdevs, and the awk script to run,
but does anything then need to be added to the driver to pick it up, or
should that be all thats needed?

>> I'm a little new to jargon, but the features are stereo audio, better
>> bitrates, remote control, phone control, etc (HSP, EDR, AV-something or rather
>> I think at least). Basically all the cool media stuff available now that
>> wasn't around with 1.x. Thats what has grabbed my interest now anyway, file
>> transfer, dun... meh- I can do that with wifi.
>>
> better bitrates should be supported natively (not sure about the 3.0 HS
> speeds, perhaps that requires extra work?) and the parts that would not be
> supported from the top of my head would be "Secure Simple Pairing" and
> reliable L2CAP channels, most of the rest is just operating over
> normal L2CAP/RFCOMM sockets anyway..
>
> the Advanced Audio I have wanted to do for some time as an audio daemon
> but never got around to starting (not sure actually, how complex it will
> be - for FreeBSD it would require something like the NetBSD pad(4) driver
> to be added also).. the Heaset will actually use SCO sockets for audio,
> which I think FreeBSD does support and there is some code in NetBSD that
> handles it (via a special kernel audio device, but it should be converted
> to use pad(4)). Similarly for Handsfree (there is a bthfp program that I
> wrote, basically a proof-of-concept rather than being greatly useful)
>
> not sure how the AV?TP profiles/protocols work, I don't think they are all
> that complex, it might be that they can represent as a HID profile or if
> it needs to be tied somewhat into a media player software. It does sound
> interesting, but I rarely use media from my computer and have never found
> a need..

I'll have a look at all that then, the media control is a HID profile
btw(found that by accident looking into a IR remote and HID keyboard
oddly enough).
> I was actually looking at a Bluetooth capable printer (HP 470) on ebay the
> other day, because I'm sick of using a BJ10 and I hate wires, though the
> price seemed a little out of my range..
>
> btw all the specifications are available from www.bluetooth.com :)

Thanks Iain, I'll check it out :)