Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:09:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        johnson@charming.nrtc.northrop.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions regarding FreeBSD on a notebook

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 johnson@charming.nrtc.northrop.com wrote:

>   I just got a Compaq Armada 1125 notebook computer with Windows 95 installed
> on it, and would like to put FreeBSD on it also.  (I'd like to be able to
> boot up either Win95 or FreeBSD, selectable at boot time.)  (I've been
> using FreeBSD for the last few years on another home machine, and think
> it is FANSTASTIC.)
>
>   Here's my question:  is it possible to install FreeBSD on the Compaq
> without having to wipe the disk and re-install Win95?

The same as you did for your desktop.

>   Here's one idea:  resize the Win95 partition to make it smaller, and then
> put a FreeBSD partition on the disk.

That is the way.

>   Another (crazier) idea:  insall FreeBSD in such a way that the MS-DOS
> file system on drive C is the root file system for FreeBSD.  Something
> I read in passing in one of the /usr/share/doc files seemed to imply that
> this was possible.

Um, no.  FreeBSD does not support this.

>   Question #1:  Just in case disaster strikes, I would like to be able to
> re-install Win95 from scratch.  Seemingly randomly (phase of the moon no
> doubt), every once in a while when I boot the Compaq I get a Win95 utility
> that offers to help me create a set of backup floppy disks that can be
> used to re-install Win95.  It offers to let you back up two separate sets
> of system files.  I used it to back up Win95 (it took 31 floppies!), and
> would like to back up the other set of system files as well using this
> mystical utility.  So, the question:
>
>   How do I invoke this `Create System Intallation Floppies' utility???
> (One way is to just keep rebooting the machine until that utility magically
> decides to present itself again :-(  ).

This just makes a Win95 boot floppy.  You should have gotten a copy of the
Win95 installers; if not, call Compaq and tell them they're breaking the
law.

> 1) Use a disk re-partitioning package.  I found two to choose from at CompUSA:
> Partition-It from Quarterdeck, and Partition Magic from someone else.
> Shrink the Win95 partition using said utility.

Partition Magic all the way.

> 2) Use the `Custom' FreeBSD installation option, and put a FreeBSD partition
> out there.
>
> 3) Proceed with the FreeBSD installation.
>
>   Question #2:  Does the above approach have a chance of working??

Absolutely.

>   Question #3:  Is there reliable freeware that will take a MicroSoft
> partition and make it smaller?  Or do I have to try to use one of these
> flaky and expensive commercial packages?

FIPS.  It does it the bad way (not adjust sector size) but it does work.

>   Question #4:  Does the second approach, using an MS-DOS partition that
> already has Win95, have a prayer?  (I sorta hate the second approach based
> on experience with /dos partitions on my current FreeBSD machine.  Weird
> constraints on  file names, weird stuff with protections, etc.  Win95
> seems to do better with file names than DOS.  Is it possible to use the
> Win95 file system under FreeBSD rather than the DOS file system?  Does that
> question even make any sense?  ;-) )

Hundreds of people split their Win95 partitions and install FreeBSD on
them every day.  It's no different for a laptop :)