Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:08:14 -0600
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Everything randomly generates .core files

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Eric Schuele wrote:
>
>> I'm having some difficulties with 5.3-RELEASE.  I have made a fresh
>> install from the iso image I downloaded.  Formatted the entire drive,
>> just to make sure it was clean.  I have installed everything of
>> interest via the ports tree.  But many things seem to fail randomly.
>> I can use xfe for a while, then blip its gone.  pptpclient is the
>> same.  Fluxbox generates .core files as well... but its never shutdown
>> on me.  xprop has generated a few too.  Doesn't seem to be any one app.
>

> This certainly sounds like a hardware issue like overheating or RAM
> going bad.  Try running www.memtest.org overnight and see whether it
> finds anything.

I'll try this tonight, and let you know the results.

>> I was previously using 5.3-BETA7 and did not have these problems.  The
>> only thing I did different this time was to make things from the ports
>> tree instead of pkg_add everything.
>

> There shouldn't be a difference between the two, unless you've set up
> unusual compiler flags.  Check the messages under /var/log, are you
> seeing SIGILLs (signal #4), or SIGSEGVs (#11)?  If you are seeing signal
> 4's, and you compiled with -march=XXX, where XXX is not appropriate for
> your CPU, well, don't do that.  :-)

I don't know anything about 'unusual compiler flags'.  I just 'make
kernel KERNCONF=FILE' and 'make install clean' the ports.

'grep signal messages' shows:
Nov 12 00:09:22 unx kernel: pid 847 (fluxbox), uid 1001: exited on
signal 6 (core dumped)
Nov 12 00:25:45 unx kernel: pid 8599 (pptp), uid 0: exited on signal 6
(core dumped)
Nov 12 00:39:57 unx kernel: pid 8810 (xfe), uid 1001: exited on signal
11 (core dumped)
Nov 12 00:43:05 unx syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Nov 12 08:08:38 unx syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Nov 12 08:52:08 unx syslogd: exiting on signal 15

After a little googling... it looks like signal 15 is 'normal'... signal
11 is a segmentation fault (i.e application bug)... signal 6 is an
application error that was 'handled' by the app.

but I have the following files in my home dir:
   fluxbox.core; pptp.core; xfe.core; xprop.core.

seems strange to me.  Thoughts?

Thanks
--
Regards,