Date:      Fri, 19 May 2017 16:37:28 +0100
From:      Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   remapping pointer buttons

i use a mouse with a button on the side which i remapped to button 2 under linux. i've been using it this way for years, i'm very used to it. i just started using this mouse with freebsd, and i can't figure out how to remap the buttons. here's what i found, in reverse chronological order:

xinput silently fails for every pointer device except the core pointer, where it reports an x error. i assume you're not meant to use it with the core pointer, and i don't even want to; i want this to be specific to this one mouse.

xmodmap reports an x error.

lshal reports a dbus error: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

documentation for moused and lower-level mouse seemed disinclined to mention button mapping. i would like the same button mapping to apply in the framebuffer as well as x.

i have severe fatigue issues and i've just had to move a rather fiddly setup involving a laptop with external drive and screen onto my desk with the ecosystem of cabling behind it. i've done it now when i'm already fatigued because my primary workstation died unexpectedly yesterday morning. i'd appreciate an easy answer.

--
Linux? I used ext4 for a few years. In proportion to the time spent using it, I lost as much data to it as I lost to the very worst released version of reiserfs.