Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 2015 18:12:31 +0930
From:      "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: default file descriptor limit ?

> On 13 Apr 2015, at 18:01, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru> wrote:
> May be now time to introduce new login class, for desktop users, with
> reduced limits for open files and some regionals settings. And modify
> bsdinstall to support this. And may be some Gnome/KDE tools for
> creating users (I am don't use KDE/Gnome).
>=20
> Base login class ('default') don't touching, don't have limits and
> have locale "C", used for system startup and daemons.

The question is: What is the upside of having such a large limit?

The downside is apparent - it's not the memory usage but the time wasted =
when running secure software since you can't use closefrom because it's =
not portable and so libraries/ports/etc don't use it (or more =
realistically Linux doesn't have it).

Other limits like max processes scaling with memory makes sense but =
maxfiles should probably scale more slowly (or maybe even not at all..)

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."