Date:      12 May 2003 14:12:11 +1000
From:      Q <q_dolan@yahoo.com.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Regression observations & misc errata

Thanks for that, I will look into it. However, you might have missed my
point.

The couple of times I have had fatal filesystem inconsistencies have
been after a kernel panic, or ACPI induced ungraceful powerdown, and
even then it is so rare I cannot deliberately reproduce the problem.
Regardless of this, my point was not that the inconsistency occured, but
rather there has been a change in the resultant system behaviour
compared to pre 5.x releases. In the past the system would have failed
the fsck and dropped back into single user mode allowing for manual
intervention, now the system will boot normally and kernel panic the
moment the filesystem error is encountered.

The resolution is simple enough, but the cause of the panic may not be
immediately obvious, or may take several minutes to occur.

Seeya...Q