Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:16:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        ccsanady@scl.ameslab.gov, hackers@freebsd.org, matt@3am-software.com
Subject:   Re: Network concurrency problems!?

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > > Also, if you expect a PPro-200 to saturate 4 100 Mbps links, I think you
> > > are a wee bit optimistic. (One link, no problem.)
> >
> >   Why?  As long as the ethernet hw is fast, is should be no problem.
>
> It's a problem because of the resource usage of the TCP/IP stack and the
> driver.
>
> The FreeBSD TCP/IP stack is good, but it's not the most efficient. As far
> as I know, there is still an extra pass over the data to perform the TCP
> checksum, for instance.

  Would a TCP socket have more system overhead than a file on a UFS
filesystem?  I guess you can tess this by running dd on a mfs, and
tcpblast/netpipe/ttcp on loopback?  Somehow I think the socket would be
faster.

> >   However, I really doubt whether most ethernet adapters offload enough
> > functions from the main CPU.  The trend is to make very stupid
> > controllers, which are slaved to the CPU for everything.
>
> There has been a good deal of debate on whether offloading is really the
> best idea for network protocol implementations. A lot of people have tried
> it, and a lot of people have failed.  If you look at Van Jacobson't work
> you'll find him arguing in the opposite direction: A "stupid" (in reality:
> simple and efficient) controller, and a very efficient protocol stack
> implementation.

  Not really what I was refering to.  I was thinking about controllers
that minimize interupt calls, use DMA, avoid PIO, and align data
transfered to the host.

Tom